Sunday, June 17, 2012

Garage video. A video of your garage?

No, it's not a video of your garage. The video is rather a project I made in order to complete the final assignment of Online Journalism unit in the first semester of my second year. So please excuse the stodgy title. Our assignment was to do either a data visualisation (data viz) or a video package report. Over the semester, after I took social research methods unit (which mainly dealt with data!) I've found that data is definitely not my passion. However, I've learnt that data--whatever data they are--contain not only a lot of information, but also potential stories! It's just that I'm not 'data savvy' (if such term does exist) especially when dealing with ABS (Australian Bureau of Statistics). In one of our tutorials about data viz, we have to find the number of seven year olds in Australia on the year 1987! It took a lot of effort!


From then on, I decided to go with the video report. I did a video report during my first year in college and enjoyed it. I also received nice feedbacks from my tutor which encouraged me to do video report for this final assignment. And so, I found this annual event named GARAGE SALE TRAIL that was held on the 4th of May. Well, you can tell by the name that it is a garage sale. What's unique from this event is that the garage sale is being held simultaneously in hundreds of places across Australia!

Finally I came across with this garage sale which was held in Coppin Street, Richmond and which happened to be managed by Monash University alumni. Despite the inclement weather that day, I got some really nice shots. Well, I'm not the only one who held the camera all the time. I have to thank my friend, Dyota, who helped me to do some of the shootings which was obviously I couldn't do by myself.

Enough of the natters. Now, enjoy the video!




1 comment:

  1. Awesome! this video reminds me of your superb video news at JIC :)

    ReplyDelete