Saturday, June 28, 2014

Late night Ghibli snacks



Ever had some late night Ghibli titbits? Mmmm they’re ultimately scrumptious.

Lately, just lately, I’ve been spending my quiet nights with my sister’s laptop in a precise 5cms away from my toes, with my back leaning on the smooth faux leather upholstery of my sister’s bed, and having two thirds of my body buried from torso to toe by the warmth of my sister’s duvet. Okay, I reckon the possessive reference to my sister is getting a bit annoying. Obviously, the writer here has been numpang at her cozy little sister’s bedroom – because apparently her own bedroom is a wreck (we’ll get back to this topic a thousand post from now okay).

The point is, what my sister and I have been viewing on the laptop. Everyday, we dive into our daily dose of heroin: Studio Ghibli romps. Firstly, let me share an explanation on why and how we could get Ghibli films. I did buy several original copies of Studio Ghibli films in Melbourne. Spirited Away and Ponyo. However, these two are as many as I can afford.


Yours truly have never been a fan of piracy. Unfortunately, Ghibli is an exception. Studio Ghibli films are gems and finding the original DVDs/Blu-Rays is like searching for the original copy of Petualangan Sherina at DVD shops in Mexico (heaven knows why I chose Petualangan Sherina out of a gazillion other films and Mexico apart from other countries). That being the case, I turned to the bootlegged versions. Ampuni saya ya, Tuhan!

My heroin! My Nicorette! All hail Studio Ghibli.

People say Ghibli is Japan’s Disney. I second that. My first experience with Ghibli was Spirited Away – and, boy, it was the best Japanese animated feature film I have ever seen. Spirited Away led me to Ponyo, and they led me to the rest of Ghibli herds. Although I haven’t seen all Studio Ghibli films until this writing is posted, nevertheless, I could guarantee that I will enjoy all of them.

The whole experience of viewing Ghibli films is self-indulgent. I can never understand what is inside the head of Hayao Miyazaki, who’s been my favourite director so far. What came across his mind when he invented Totoro? How was it possible for him to think of a bathing house for spirits? Why is he so genius?

Don’t start me on why I love Ghibli films. First thing that I love from Ghibli films is how each could be so naïve and carefree. This might be the case for those with children as the main character (Ponyo, Spirited Away, My Neighbour Totoro, Kiki’s Delivery Service). There’s often a pile of eerie characters in the films that don’t turn out as we seemed or predicted. It’s also amazing to see how the antagonist during the first half of the film becoming friends with the protagonist, and the protagonists befriends them without hesitation. And, most of the time, the real antagonist turn out to be someone we never predicted.

The sensation of watching Ghibli films is superb. I feel bliss, longing, satisfied at once. Never I came across any children’s tale that is as sublime as Ghibli films. They are best to consume at night. The darkness outside espouses the atmosphere Studio Ghibli films offer. The era of chips and chocolate balls are over. All hail Studio Ghibli films as my midnight snack!

// picture taken from disneysite.org

No comments:

Post a Comment